I wasn’t called the cookie monster for nothing! I used to down like a dozen of cookies no problem, especially if they were milk chocolate cookies. Something about a milk chocolate base that just makes the cookie dough so soft, chewy and crisp on the edges. Ie. THE PERFECT COOKIE.
Last December, I made these on two occasions 1) to bring to work and share with all staff on the Surgery ward and 2) to package away as gifts for Christmas (hence the red baker’s twine). Everybody looOOoOooooved them! For once, a Martha Stewart cookie didn’t fail me! I usually have the worst luck with her recipes, so I was getting a little irritated :P I almost gave up on you Martha, but you’re just hanging in there.
Let’s talk for a minute about how photogenic and beauuuutiful these milk chocolate cookies are. Perfectly crinkled, circular with a raised edge, and studded with a generous sprinkling of chocolate chunks in the perfectly asymmetrical places. All you fellow chocoholics are probably dying to know “HOW DOES THE CHOCOLATE FLAVOUR STACK UP?!” With milk chocolate present in both in the dough and as chunks, the chocolate flavour is strong with this one.
The only thing I wish was different is the thickness of these milk chocolate cookies. The dough spreads out a lot in the oven and you end up with a really thin and wide cookie. I’d have to experiment more to get it right, probably need to add some more flour to counter the high fat content.
I really want to send my most heartfelt and genuine gratitude out to you who responded to my last post with support, encouragement and empathy. It really means a lot to me when you open up and feel comfortable sharing your stories with me too.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz. milk chocolate (best quality you can get), separated into 4oz for chunks and 4oz for dough
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt
- Melt 4 oz milk chocolate with butter in a bowl set over simmering water
- Put chocolate, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until combined
- On low speed, mix in flour until just combined
- Stir in chocolate chunks
- Scoop onto baking sheet, keeping them 2 inches apart
- Bake for 10-15 minutes depending on gooey/doughy you want them!