This caramelized peach chocolate dutch baby is perfect for weekend mornings or any morning for that matter. Wake up to the scent of rich cocoa Dutch pancakes topped with caramelized peaches and a drizzle of melted chocolate.
What is a dutch baby?
Well according to Wikipedia, a dutch baby actually isn’t dutch at all. It may be a rendition of the traditional German pancake but it actually has its origins in the United States. Well whaddaya know.
So what is it exactly? A dutch baby is a thin pancake that is like a crossover between a popover and a crepe. It is baked in a cast iron skillet and pretty mild in taste so it’s usually topped with fresh fruit and a glaze or sauce.
Dutch babies are so flexible that you could do any combination of fruit and sauce and it’ll taste good. Blackberries and whipped cream? Bananas and peanut butter? Chocolate chips and caramel sauce? Let your creativity fly!
About this caramelized peach chocolate dutch baby
For those days when cereal or toast just doesn’t cut it, there’s always dutch baby pancakes! Saving the day from blandness and general disappointment. Dutch babies are sooo easy to whip up and they take no time at all. And just LOOK at this presentation, how gorgeous? I’m thinking fancy brunch?
Typically, a dutch baby is made with a plain vanilla batter but I added cocoa to mine to make it chocolate. To top off this rich cocoa pancake base, I caramelized some peaches with brown sugar in the oven and then added a generous drizzle of melted dark chocolate.
Rich and deep cocoa. Caramelized peaches. Chocolate sauce.
This is a triple threat you guys. Go forth and jazz up your mornings.
More dutch baby recipes:
Recipe for Caramelized Peach Chocolate Dutch Baby
Caramelized Peach Chocolate Dutch Baby
Chocolate Dutch Baby
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Slices of peeled peaches
- Brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spread out peach slices on baking tray lined with parchment
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the peaches
- Bake for 10 minutes or until peaches are soft
Chocolate Dutch Baby
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place a 9-inch cast iron skillet in the oven.
- Whisk milk, flour, eggs, cocoa, salt, and vanilla until smooth.
- Take skillet out of oven, add butter and return to oven until butter is melted and sizzling. Carefully pour batter into hot skillet, then bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until poofy and a little burnt on the edges
- Decorate the top of the dutch baby with caramelized peaches. Drizzle melted chocolate as desired.
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment below and tag @chocolateandconnie on Instagram.