These kahlua chocolate cake doughnuts are the perfect boozey dessert for a night cap or whenever you want it! Totally safe for work too. Moist chocolate cake doughnut dipped in a kahlua chocolate glaze and covered in chocolate sprinkles.
I made doughnuts!
Because I just finished the hardest exam I ever took in my life.
Because it’s raining outside.
Because I’m a chocoholic and I honestly don’t care for bikini season.
Just because. Do we ever need a reason to eat 3 doughnuts in one sitting?
About these kahlua chocolate cake doughnuts
These are nothing like your typical old fashioned cake doughnuts. These have an added kick – kahlua.
I had some kahlua sitting in the cabinet so I decided to add it in the glaze. Probably one of the bestest decisions I’ve ever made.
Normally, I’m not so much of a fan of cake doughnuts. The yeast risen, fluffy and tender counterpart always won my heart (and stomach). When I’m at home though, I haaateee deep frying because the smell of oil clinggss to my hair and clothes. So I decided to give baked doughnuts a go!
These kahlua chocolate cake doughnuts did not disappoint! I had 3 in one sitting and now my waistline hates me.
If you normally like fluffier doughnuts too, I’d suggest giving these a try! The cake had a tender crumb and held its moisture out even after hours of sitting out on the counter. The cocoa added just the right touch of chocolate flavour. Kahlua – the star of the show – heightened all the flavours, it was so so SO good. If you don’t have kahlua on hand or you don’t like the taste of it, vanilla extract works perfectly too!
More boozey and doughnut recipes:
Recipe for these kahlua chocolate cake doughnuts:
Kahlua Chocolate Cake Donuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Kahlua Chocolate Glaze
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 to 4 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp kahlua (or just vanilla extract if you don't like kahlua)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a doughnut baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, buttermilk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer to the batter to a piping bag or use a small spoon to portion batter into the prepared doughnut baking pan. Fill each until 2/3 full.
- Bake doughnuts for 11 to 13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into one of the doughnuts comes out clean. Allow to rest for five minutes before removing doughnuts to cool completely.
Kahlua Chocolate Glaze
- In a medium bowl whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Add 2 tablespoons of milk and all of the vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Mixture may be thick. Add milk, a tablespoon at a time, until the glaze is thick but still pourable.
- Dip one side of each doughnut into the chocolate glaze. Hold donut over bowl to let the excess glaze slide off. Finish off with sprinkles as you like.
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment below and tag @chocolateandconnie on Instagram.
Credit where credit is due:
I got this recipe from Joy the Baker – Double chocolate cake doughnuts