These perfect Neapolitan cupcakes are as delicious as they are pretty. Moist chocolate cake topped with a generous swirl of fresh strawberry and vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream. Chocolate, strawberry and vanilla all in one so that you never have to choose.
Two weeks ago, on the same day that I re-launched the blog, I had a 2-dozen cupcake order due. A friend of mine, whom I haven’t seen in YEARS, asked me to make chocolate cupcakes and strawberry cupcakes to congratulate one of her coworkers.
In the end, I still had a ton of cake and buttercream leftover. Hence the birth of these Neapolitan cupcakes!
I used chocolate cake as the base, then topped it with a dual combo of vanilla and strawberry Swiss meringue buttercream, the only kind of buttercream that I ever use. Regular American buttercream is taboo in my kitchen!
Unfortunately, I didn’t get to taste these cupcakes because I gave the extras away to friends. So everything I know about them is from testimonials. I gave two of these to my tenants who just happened to stroll by my window at the exact time I put down my camera after the photos. Then I delivered a couple of these to the friend who lives closest to me. My brother’s friends also got to try a few. They always happen to be at our place when I bake (coincidence, I think not!). All in all, the feedback that I received was positive.
More Gorgeous Cupcake Recipes
Recipe For These Perfect Neapolitan Cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup aocoa
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temp, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large strawberries blended
- 12 large strawberries rinsed and halved
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes to fully incorporate
- Pour batter evenly into prepared cupcake pans
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Combine sugar, egg whites, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer
- Place over simmering water (but not IN simmer water)
- Whisk by hand until sugar is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes
- Transfer bowl to mixer and beat until you reach medium peak consistency
- Slowly add butter one piece at a time
- At some point, the buttercream will look curdled and gross, THIS IS NORMAL DON'T PANIC
- Keep adding butter and beating the buttercream until you reach a silky smooth texture
- Separate buttercream in half
- In one half, add the blended strawberries and beat until incorporated
Putting it together
- In a piping bag fitted with an open star tip, put vanilla swiss meringue buttercream in one side and strawberry swiss meringue in the other.
- Twist bag to close and pipe a large swirl on each cupcake.
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment below and tag @chocolateandconnie on Instagram.