Classic Chinese cookies transformed into fun Valentine’s Day fortune cookies! Open one to reveal iconic one-liners and love quotes from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. These crispy, chocolate dipped cookies are just as fun to make as they are to open.
Valentine’s Day Fortune Cookies
Say it like you mean it with these valentine’s day fortune cookies! I’ve never been one to verbally express love, especially the romantic type of love for a life partner. I get all awkward and embarrassed. Then the words get all tied up because I try to speak really fast to get the moment over with as soon as possible. So of course nothing I say ends up making any sense, lol. And that’s why I love WRITTEN notes! No awkwardness for either party. Oh, and boy can I write a real tear-jerker.
You’re My Lobster! Classic FRIENDS Quotes
If you follow my Instagram, you probably know how much I love the TV show, F.R.I.E.N.D.S. There are SO many iconic love quotes from that show, for example:
“How you doin’?” – I mean, this one needs no explanation right?
“You’re my lobster” – Ross to Rachel season 2 episode 14
“You actually have a very sweet little heinie” – Phoebe to Ross in season 5 episode 22
So, for funzies, I printed out a few of my favourites and put them inside these valentine’s day cookies. I think that anyone, friend or life partner, would appreciate a good chuckle from opening one of these!
Tips For Making Fortune Cookies
As, I’ve never made fortune cookies before, I worked off a recipe from Martha Stewart. Compared to other recipes that I’ve read, this one contains butter and heavy cream which lends to the richness and golden colour of the final cookie. You guys, these were crazy good, addictive even. These valentine’s day fortune cookies were thin and crispy, nicely golden, and they tasted wonderfully buttery yet light. The only thing I would do differently next time is cut down on some of the sugar, I found these just a tad too sweet. A few tips if you’re also making these for the first time:
A Few Notes
- Make use of multiple baking trays. As one tray is baking, you can start spreading out your batter on another tray. You will save yourself so much time by doing this. I definitely underestimated how much time I actually needed to spread the batter perfectly thinly.
- These bake fast, they go from just done to burnt in a matter of seconds, so keep your eye on the oven/ears on the timer.
- You HAVE to fold them as soon as they come out of the oven, ie. HOT HOT COOKIE ON YOUR FINGERS. If you have the fingertips of a top chef, you’ll be fine, but otherwise, maybe a thin food handling glove will be a good idea. I just braved it and used my bare hands as I have some heat tolerance.
Decorating Valentine’s Day Fortune Cookies
After they were baked and cooled, I dipped them in some pink candy melts and GORGEOUS Sweetapolita sprinkles that I got from Bulk Barn. So simple and easy but they completely transformed the look of Chinese take-out fortune cookies to Valentine’s day fortune cookies. Greatest part is that the options are endless, you can be completely creative with this process to make it the way you want them to look.
What I used to decorate:
- pink candy melts
- dark chocolate
- different kinds of sprinkles
Same thing with the messages on the inside, you can make them super personal or comedic/sarcastic! If you want to see which quotes I used, I took a picture of them all and it’s near the end of the post. If you want to use my template, here is the uploaded file! Simply download, print and cut into strips.
| Download here |
Where to get coloured candy melts?
Bulk Barn is where I go for most of my specialty baking needs. They carry pretty much everything under the sun. I’ve been able to find the coolest ingredients like novel pastas, all kinds of nut flours, all kinds of whole grain flours, and so many cake/cookie decorating ingredients. Sometimes I go there and wander the aisles just for inspiration! I love collaborating with Bulk Barn because they are such a wholesome brand and they support being environmentally friendly! Bring your own jars to reduce the use of plastics and keep your storage simple. With my coupon link, you can get 20% off all regular priced items from now til February 14th!
Recipe for Valentine’s Day Fortune Cookies
Valentine's Day Fortune Cookies
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 5 tsp heavy cream
- Pre-cut paper fortune slips
- Pink candy melts
- Dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 380 degrees F
- Beat egg whites and sugar on medium speed until they're light and frothy
- Add flour, and beat until combined
- Then add butter and cream, beat until combined
- Scoop 1 heaping tsp of batter and drop it on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat
- Using the back of a spoon, gently spread your batter out thinly until it makes a 4" wide circle
- You can fit about 2-3 cookies on one tray, I do not recommend doing more than that because your cookies will harden before you can shape them
- Bake for 4-5 minutes (depends on your oven!)
- DO NOT WAIT FOR COOLING, place your fortune slip in the middle of the cookie and gently fold the cookie in half
- Holding the ends of the flat edge, curve your cookie by pulling the ends together to create that signature look.
- Place the cookies into a muffin tin to keep the shape as it cools.
- Melt pink candy melts and dark chocolate in separate bowls in the microwave on LOW power, you don't want to cause your chocolate to go out of temper
- Dip and decorate your cookies as you like! And that's it!
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a comment below and tag @chocolateandconnie on Instagram.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart’s Cookies